Search This Blog

Monday, November 10, 2014

Autumn ups and downs

Day 1: La Villa - Wolkenstein, via Grödner Joch
Street maintenance work just halfway to Grödner Joch made the traffic stand still for more than one hour. Nothing moved, no one going up, nobody able to enter the valley. I placed myself right next to the traffic light, had some refreshments and waited for the workers giving me sign to go on. That took quite a long time and I had to hurry to reach my Wolkenstein before dawn.

Grödner Joch

Day 2: Wolkenstein - Passo Duràn, via Sella-Joch, Passo di Fedaia, Alleghe, Agordo, Rifugio S. Sebastiano
The day started with an appointment with the barber - an italian pensioner; and he had some stories to tell. I hit the road afterwards, reaching Agordo too early to have a rest. Bring it on, this Passo Duràn, I said to myself! I should have stayed where I was! That hill was killing me. I had no power left, it was already getting dark when I saw the cottage (which was open luckily) and I was crawling in.

Passo di Fedaia

Day 3: Passo Duràn - Passo Giau, via Dónt, Zoldo Alto, Passo Staulanza, Selva di Cadore
The only relaxing day was this one, when being on top of Passo Giau at 1 pm already. I had my lunch in the sun and decided to hike around a bit, in cycling shoes. Wasn't the wisest, but no other option available.

Sunrise at Passo Giau

Day 4: Passo Giau - Passo di Valparola , via Cortina d'Ampezzo, Passo Tre Croci, Tre Cime de Lavaredo (Dreizinnen), Passo Cimabanche , Cortina d'Ampezzo, Passo di Falzarego
I was awake that early, the sun did not even rise. How rare is that? The mountains were drowned in awesomely beautiful colours. After breakfast I had a long 20 km pace down to Cortina d'Ampezzo, passed Passo Tre Croci and entered the Tre Cime National Park. The street up to the Tre Cime di Lavaredo was incredibly steep. It took ages to go up there and breaks were so much needed every now and then. But it was worth it - with spectecular views!

Tre Cime di Lavaredo

Day 5: Passo di Valparola - La Villa, just speeding all the way down in the morning freeze

Passo di Valparola

No comments: